Thursday, June 12, 2014

Starting From Seeds

I prefer to do all my gardening starting with seeds that I start myself rather than plants from a store or greenhouse.  I started seeds in the house this past March and while they all came up, the majority of them did not thrive.  The only ones that made a successful transplant were many of the peppers, and that was it.  I decided to give the tomatoes one more go and dumped all the seeds I had left from all four varieties I'm doing this year into the lid of a Tupperware cake carrier.  I marked between the different ones with plastic slats I recycled from a broken mini-blind, and also labeled more of them for each variety.  I've transplanted two types to the garden already but it's rained ever since and I haven't been able to plant the other two types, hopefully soon, though.
Even though I was able to transplant several peppers I decided to do the same thing with the rest of those seeds, too.  For this container I covered a cardboard box that I'd received in the mail with a kitchen garbage bag and secured it with clear packing tape.  I separated the varieties and labeled them using more of the mini-blind slats trimmed to fit.
I have one container of peppers that survived the initial transplant but were really small, so I was waiting for them to grow a little more before putting them in their permanent place in the garden.  I think they are ready to go, so whenever it finally stops raining.

I have a pear tree that I started from a seed out of a pear I was eating, and I've never grown a tree from a seed so I'm not exactly sure what to do with it, but I know I need to splint it already.
All the seeds, except for the pear, came from Baker Creek Seeds and I don't think I'll ever buy seeds from anywhere else, I've always been very pleased with everything ever purchased from them, both in quality and quantity.  For example, one variety of tomato I was only guaranteed 15 seeds, but I stopped counted seeds after getting to 90!  I don't get anything for praising them, I just really like their products.


No comments:

Post a Comment