Sunday, June 1, 2014

My Favorite Flowers

My daughter brought me a beautiful bouquet of wild flowers today and I just love them.   I'll be honest, I actually prefer an assortment of hand picked wild flowers over any store bought, overpriced bouquet any day. 
I'm reminded of when I was a kid and would pick bunches of violets for my grandma that would grow wild on the hillside between her house and my grandpa's electric shop.  I would pick all I could carry and present them to her and she always acted like she was just given the greatest gift ever.  I'd go back down and pick more and more and more and she would always find some container to put them in after she'd run out of vases.  Bowls, tea cups, anything.  I know now how special she must have felt to get them, and I've always known how special she made me feel by accepting them all so graciously.  I'm reminded of her every time I see a little patch of violets, and I can't help but smile.
Joan Burrows, 1922-1996, the best grandma there ever was.  If I could be 1/10th as amazing as she was then I'd still be wonderful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment