Sunday, June 22, 2014

THAT NIGHT Book Review

I was able to pick up THAT NIGHT by Chevy Stevens at the library the day after it came out.  I was so excited to know that my name was at the top of the hold list that immediately after hanging up I actually cheered "Woohoo!!!  I'm first on the hold list for two books!"  My husband gave me a strange look and said "I've never been that excited over books."  Well, in my opinion, he's missing out!  The other book will be another post.

The story is about Toni and her boyfriend that are convicted of murdering her sister.  The thing is, they didn't do it, but because they'd been partiers and into a little trouble as teens the cops didn't really look too hard in any other direction.  Each chapter goes from current time, when they first get out of prison then back to when they were teens and leading up to the murder.  It's not at all confusing and is very well written and keeps you gripped from the first page. 

It's really opened my eyes into the world of prisons and parolees, and how hard it would be to prove yourself to be a good person when everyone around has given up on you. 

I really recommend this book as well as all three of her other ones.  I've been a fan from the moment her first book was published and eagerly anticipate the publication of each new one.

Chevy dedicated this book to the people that work with shelter animals.  The main character helps train service dogs while in prison and also volunteers her time at a shelter while on parole.  Chevy also seems to be a big animal lover and shares the antics of her dog, Oona, on her Facebook page.  The pictures above are from a "hint" on her page about how much she enjoys seeing our pets with her books.  So, I ran around the house and woke up all my napping babies and snapped their pictures.  I really appreciate that she takes the time to share herself with her readers and asks us to share ours with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment