Friday, June 27, 2014

Frugal Steak Hoagies

I enjoy making leftovers into totally different dishes from what they were originally.  I also like to make a lot of one thing so that I can do just this.  Here is how I make frugal steak hoagies from left over grilled hamburger patties.

 Other than the pre-cooked patties, I also used hamburger buns, canned peppers in tomato sauce and cheddar cheese.  The peppers in sauce that I used is some that my dad cans himself, but there are a few local brands that might be pretty close.  Demus and Oliverio's are two that come to mind.  I also puree the peppers and sauce with a hand blender so nobody gets a big chuck of pepper.
 First, slice all the burgers into thin strips, around 1/8" thick and warm in a skillet with a little butter or spray oil.  Add the peppers and heat through.
 Each sandwich/hoagie will be wrapped in a sheet of foil.  On each sheet, spray with some oil, then begin assembling until you have them all done.

To assemble just lay the bottom bun on the oiled foil, add the meat and pepper mixture, top with cheese and then top bun.  Wrap foil completely sealing each hoagie and place a baking sheet.
Bake in the oven preheated to 350 degrees F, for 15-20 minutes  This will heat it through and make the bread a little crispy.  Delicious! 

What are some ways you like to use leftover hamburgers?

No comments:

Post a Comment