Thursday, July 31, 2014

Candied Zucchini Snacks

While I love zucchini bread, I like to try new ideas and come up with new recipes.  This is a very easy one that you can make to suit whatever flavor you like.  You only need two ingredients and some water: zucchini, and a package of flavored gelatin.  But if you don't have gelatin, you can substitute powdered drink mixes and add a cup of sugar if they are not pre-sweetened.  You can leave out the packaged mixes and use 4 cups of any flavored fruit juice.  The cooking and drying times are the same for any of them.

CANDIED ZUCCHINI SNACKS

Zucchini, peeled, seeds removed and diced into pieces about 1" x 1/2", enough to measure 6 cups
Large box flavored gelatin
4 cups water

Prepare zucchini, try to keep the pieces as uniform as possible to assure even drying time.
In a large pot, bring 4 cups water to a boil.  Add the flavored gelatin to the water and stir, while boiling, for two minutes.  Add the zucchini and stir to cover.  If you need more liquid to cover, you can add more water.  Return to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Drain zucchini, reserving liquid for another batch if you'd like, and layer the pieces on the dehydrator trays.  Run the dehydrator at 130 degrees for 10 to 12 hours.  Stop when they are slightly pliable.  They will harden as they cool so don't over dry them or they will be hard as a rock.
Once they are totally dry, I'll edit the post with picture of them in that state, also.  I had a lot of liquid left, and one tray was empty, so I cut up a small zucchini and it's now simmering and I'll add it to the dehydrator when it's ready.

***
6 cups dehydrated down to a little less than 2 cups.  They are very good, even better than I anticipated.  They are really delicious just as they are, but next time I might use either less water or more gelatin to bump up the flavor some.  But, I might not as, like I said, they are pretty good just like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment