Saturday, August 2, 2014

Crispy Garlic Dill Cucumber Chips

The cucumbers I planted this year are a long variety.  They are very mild, crispy, and delicious.  But one is usually more than enough for the whole family to each fresh.  I already made some refrigerator bread and butter pickles with a couple and since I have a few to spare, I feel safe experimenting with a few recipes.  This recipe utilized a dehydrator and only consists of a few basic ingredients.

CRISPY GARLIC DILL CUCUMBER CHIPS

1 or 2 cucumbers, depending on size
apple cider vinegar
garlic salt
dried dill weed

Wash the cucumbers well, you want to remove all the dirt as you'll be leaving the skin on them.  If you have a mandolin, use it to slice these on a medium setting.  Otherwise, slice about 1/8" to 1/4" thick.  Use an apple corer to remove the seeds, and place the cucumbers in a bowl.

Splash a couple of teaspoons of the vinegar onto the cucumbers and using your hand, stir them around.  Sprinkle on some garlic salt and dried dill weed and stir again, sprinkle with the salt and weed again and stir to coat them each evenly.
Layer each slice on to the dehydrator tray, using as many as needed so they are not touching.  Dry at 135 degrees for around 6 hours, depending on the thickness.  If they are thinner, they will dry quicker and thicker will take longer.
When they are dried to a crisp, you can eat them as they are or dip into ranch dressing or another of your favorite dipping sauces.


I'm starting to regret getting rid of the mandolin I had, my hand sliced pieces are never even, 

There are many flavor combinations you can come up with.  Add a little cayenne pepper to give them a little heat.  Let me know of any flavor combinations that sound good to you or that you try yourself.

1 comment:

  1. These look good enough to grab through the screen and eat them!

    My new dehydrator has the actual temp settings so I am going to add this to my list of "MAKE."

    Thank you for sharing another recipe for me to try!

    ReplyDelete