Saturday, August 23, 2014

Delicious Buttermilk Pie

While grocery shopping, I happened upon a gallon of buttermilk on clearance for just $2.00.  I don't think I've ever purchased buttermilk before, but I thought that sounded like a good deal.  As soon as I got home I started coming up with recipes to use it in.  This pie is sweet and creamy and is very easy to make.  I used premade frozen pie crusts, just regular size and this recipe made three full pies.  If I'd used the deep dish crusts I would have probably been able to get it into two.  If you decide to make it in a deep dish crust, you will probably have to extend the baking time by around 15 minutes.

INGREDIENTS

3 (9 inch) pie crusts
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
6 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Nutmeg to sprinkle on the top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar.  When combined and starting to get a little fluffy, add the flour and eggs.  Continue to mix well until thoroughly combined.  Add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat until completely incorporated.
Place a baking sheet into the preheated oven and place the pie pan with crust onto the baking sheet.  Repeat for all three pie crusts, and you may have to place two pies on one sheet, depending on how large your oven is.  Pour the batter into the crusts when they are already on the racks as this will help prevent spillage when trying to transport them from counter to oven (the picture above shows it on the counter, but I quickly remembered where I should have been pouring it).  After the batter is in the crust, sprinkle the tops with nutmeg.

Carefully, slide the racks back into place and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
The pies will be a little jiggly when they are removed but they will firm up as the cool, so allow about an hour before serving.
Also, notice how much nutmeg I put on this pie and this is a pic of the same pie after baking.  A little goes a long way, so it just takes a sprinkling of it.

This pie turned out very delicious and reminds me a little of an egg custard pie I'd had years ago and fell in love with.  I hope you enjoy it.  I'm going to freeze one of them that I baked and I'm hoping that it will come out of the freezer being just as delicious.  I also plan on making pie crusts in bulk and freezing them, but frozen ones already in a little foil pan are a wonderful convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment