Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I Have Herbs. Now What Do I Do?

A couple of months ago I attended a Make It Herself workshop at my local Home Depot where they showed us how to make an herb tower.  They had one preassembled and they assembled one while we were there and filled it with herbs.  They gave both away as door prizes and I won this one filled with plants.  I've been nurturing it along and it's been doing pretty well.
The top one contains Greek oregano, next down is rosemary, below that is chocolate mint, and then sweet basil.  The bottom pot came with the soil but with no seeds or plants so I later planted baby pak choy that I never got around to picking and has since gone to seed, so I'm going to harvest those seeds whenever they get ready, although I'm not exactly sure when that will be.

I love to cook with fresh herbs but I so rarely do it as fresh herbs in a grocery store are usually very expensive.  If you click on any of the herb names above it will take you to my Pinterest page for recipes I found for each.

I picked a few herbs here and there but they were starting to get overgrown so I cut them all back to let them grow again.

I brought all the ones I snipped off inside to dehydrate so they don't go to waste.
You can see in the bottom right that I started plucking the rosemary off the stem but was worried about it falling through the rack even though I put a screen on it, so I decided to leave them on the stem and will remove them later.  I did that will all of them except the basil since those leaves were pretty good size.  My dehydrator has a setting for herbs, which is 95 degrees F, so I just set it on that and will check every couple of hours to see how they are doing.

Please share in the comments some of your favorite ways to use these herbs.  I'm always looking for new recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment