Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beans and Greens

My new favorite food is greens!  Or should that be my new favorite foods are greens?  I need the grammar nazi to help me out here.  But anyway, I love kale, and collards especially.  Tonight I picked a bunch of collard leaves from the garden, around 10 or 12 of the biggest ones. 

I brought them in and rinsed both sides of each leaf and cut out the stem in the middle.  If the leaves were smaller you can leave the stem in but when the are bigger like this they seem a little tough.  After removing the stem, I stacked them, and cut into smaller pieces, around 1" x 2" roughly.  Below is a basic recipe for making BEANS AND GREENS.

Olive oil
Collard leaves, 10-12 large, stems removed and roughly chopped
Medium yellow onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can navy beans, or pinto, or black eyed peas, rinsed well
salt
pepper
soy sauce

In a medium pan, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and let heat for 1 minute.  Add the onions and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add garlic and let cook for 1 minute.  Add the greens and let cook for 5 minutes, stir and about 5 minutes more or until tender.  Add the beans, stir, and heat through, about 2 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste, and a splash of soy sauce, stir and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment