Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Peach Scones With Devonshire Cream

PI have been in the mood for scones for the last few days and I find that a little funny.  The first time I ever had a scone it was one I made.  A blueberry one, if I remember correctly, and I followed the recipe exact which is actually unusual for me.  I didn't like it at first.  It just wasn't sweet enough.  But I've made them a few more times over the years and I've really come to love them.

I wanted to use some sort of fruit in them, but wasn't particular so I dug through the freezer to see what I had on hand.  The frozen peaches seemed to jump out to me, so I decided to go with them.  I've tweaked the basic scone recipe that I've used in the past and it smells as good as it tastes.  You won't be disappointed.

PEACH SCONES

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda *I forgot to put it in the picture
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 butter
2/3 cup butter milk (or 1/4 cup powdered dry milk, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, and water to make 2/3 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla, butter, nut flavoring (or plain vanilla)
1 cup diced peaches, fresh or frozen, thawed

Mix the dry ingredients together.  I actually sifted them, but that's not necessary and I only did it because I've been looking for an excuse to use my new sifter.  Add the butter, and blend using a pastry blender.  With a wooden spoon add the fruit and mix to combine.

Turn the dough onto a circle of parchment paper and press down into a circle about an inch thick. 
Cut into wedges and spread the wedges apart slightly. 
Brush with a wash of one egg white and 2 Tablespoons of a milk product.  I used almond mild as it was what I had on hand, but any kind would work.  Sprinkle with sugar.  Move the parchment paper and dough onto the backing pan.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes.


DEVONSHIRE CREAM

1 package cream cheese (8 oz.)
1/4 cup sour cream
6 Tablespoons powdered sugar

Beat together until smooth and serve with the scones.


This recipe would really work with any fruit you'd like to use.  Berries are another favorite of mine.  Please leave a comment to let me know what you think of this recipe and what your favorite type of scone might be.  Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment