Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mystery Seed Swap

Last month I signed up to join a mystery seed swap.  The rules were fairly simple:  mail seeds to them and they will mail seeds back to you.  I sent a variety of seeds, both saved and retail.  I clearly labeled each variety with what it was, if it was saved or retail, and directions for proper growth, along with days until harvest, and any other information that was relevant.  I also added $4.50 for return postage.  They asked for a minimum of 10 packets to be sent of a variety of seeds, and for each packet to contain at least 15 seeds or 30 seeds for a plant like corn.  I sent in around 30 packets of about 10 different varieties.

Here is what I received in the exchange:

Pumpkin - Big Max, Cinderella, and Jarrahdale
Squash - Hubbard
Chinese Cabbage - Pak Choi White Stem
Brussels Sprouts - Long Island Improved
Beet - Golden Detroit, and Detroit Dark Red
Parsnip - Hollow Crown, and All American
Carrot - Royal Chantenay
Pepper Chile - Ancho/Poblano
Long Pod Okra
Gourd - Luffa Sponge
Beans - Cherokee Trail of Tears, Rattlesnake, Red Chili, and Frank Barnett Cut Short
Tomato - Taxi, Alaskan Fancy, Red Robin, Cherokee Chocolate, Jersey Giant, Beefsteak, Cherokee  Purple, and Amish Paste
Flowers - Delphinium, Candytuft, Zinnia Giants of California, Datura Blue, Pink Manners Obedient, Yellow Cup Tall Native, Pink Tall Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate, and two Lily Grass.

I was very excited to see the Jersey Giant tomato seeds in this package.  I just tried to order them from Baker Creek and was told they had a failed crop of them last year so they had no seeds to offer.

Can't wait to get these started in the greenhouse I hope to get built in the next month or two.  I need to look up some of these plants as not all of them came with planting instructions.  Going to have a fun gardening season this year.  Once I get my seeds in that I ordered from Baker Creek, I'll go over all I have and make a post about ones I'll be happy to trade and what I'd like to trade for.  Maybe just postage, and I'm not sure I will need anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment