Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sloppy Joe Seasoned Slow Cooked Pork Roast

Sometimes I get creative when coming up with dinner ideas.  I had just scored a great deal on a new Crock Pot and couldn't wait to cook something in it.  I had this pork roast and hadn't really thought about what to do with it to give it some extra flavor.  We like to eat it shredded on buns but I was all out of barbeque sauce and didn't feel like making any.  So I scoured the pantry to see what sort of things I could combine to give it some oomph.          
I found a package of dry Sloppy Joe seasoning mix and a can of diced tomatoes and thought that sounded good enough.  I sprayed the interior of the crock, placed the roast in the bottom of the pot, sprinkled the mix over the roast and played with it a little like it was a rub.  I then just opened and dumped the can of tomatoes over the top of the rubbed roast.  I set it on high and let it cook.  Since the roast was thawed, it probably only took about 5 hours on high, it would probably take longer if it was frozen, and definitely longer if on low.  This roast was about 2.5 pounds.
Use two forks to shred it right in the crock and turn it to warm to keep it ready.  We just ate it on buns and some folks put a slice of cheese on it, too.  Serve with a nice veggie salad and it's a filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment