Sunday, November 2, 2014

Huckleberry Buckle Recipe


These huckleberries surprised me when they popped back up in my garden this summer.  I planted some seeds for them last year and didn't even pick them as I didn't really know what to do with them.  I learned later that they can't be eaten raw and must me cooked with added sugar.  So after I found them this year I decided to work on a recipe to use them in.  I found several that sounded good, but finally decided on combining several ideas from each and coming up with my version of a buckle.

 INGREDIENTS (Printable Recipe)

Topping
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
6 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Batter
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 3/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 lb. huckleberries (you can use blueberries if you can't find huckleberries)


1. Heat oven to 350˚. Butter and flour a 9" springform cake pan; set aside. Make the topping by mixing all the ingredients together in a medium bowl, set topping aside.
2. For the batter, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder; set flour mixture aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and milk and mix for 1 minute.
Add the huckleberries and, using a rubber spatula, fold them into the batter.
Pour batter into prepared pan

and sprinkle with reserved topping.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of the buckle comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.

Let cool before serving.

SERVES 8 – 10

No comments:

Post a Comment